Appleton Village Pre-school maintains the highest possible security of our premises to ensure that each child is safely cared for during their time with us.
Children’s personal safety
- We ensure all employed staff have been checked for criminal records via an enhanced disclosure with children’s barred list check through the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- Adults do not normally supervise children on their own.
- All children are supervised by adults at all times.
- Whenever children are on the premises at least two adults are present.
- We carry out risk assessments to ensure children are not made vulnerable within any part of our premises, nor by any activity.
- Systems are in place for the safe arrival and departure of children.
- The times of the children’s arrivals and departures are recorded.
- The arrival and departure times of adults – staff, volunteers and visitors – are recorded.
- Our systems prevent unauthorised access to our premises.
- Our systems prevent children from leaving our premises unnoticed.
- We only allow access to visitors with prior appointments.
- Our staff check the identity of any person who is not known before they enter the premises.
- We keep front doors and gates locked shut at all times. Back doors are kept locked shut at all times where they may lead to a public or unsupervised area.
- The personal possessions of staff and volunteers are securely stored during sessions.
- Minimal petty cash is kept on the premises.
Other useful Pre-school Learning Alliance publications
- Managing Risk (2009)